Thursday, April 2, 2020

Uploading Zines and Other News

Alas, this is not my cat. His name is Harry Wilder and he lives with my friend Jim down in Bethesda, MD. In front of him is what is called a "California Job Case" used by letterpress printers.

Enough diversion, back to "Writing for the Arts."

Check out my first "virtual book" on Issuu.com:
https://issuu.com/caseysmith0/docs/for_dunya.docx

It's the text of a poem I read down in DC on March 8, before the world turned upside down. Can you spot the typo? I think there's only one. 

Students will be submitting their zines on Populi, and I will transform them into the Issuu.com platform. It worked seamlessly as a .docx file, and I imagine a PDF would likewise work. Please don't send me a Creative Cloud file (Illustrator, PhotoShop, InDesign, etc.) You could import your pages into GoogleDocs and remember to "save as .docx" or "save as PDF. One big change with this platform is WONDERFUL: You don't have to limit your zine to just 8 pages. It can be as long as you like, and it can have an odd or even number of pages. Remember to give it a cover and to include a colophon. Of course, proofread carefully. 

Here's a hint for the zine itself: Make it something that you can imagine your classmates learning from and also enjoying. In other words, aim to educate and entertain.

Due Date: No later than Monday, April 6,  11:59 pm 
Questions: csmith@dcad.edu or (202) 460-6864

No comments:

Post a Comment

Last Words

Here we are. This is the last time we will meet together. I'd like to thank each of you for a rewarding semester of teaching. I hope eve...