Monday, April 12, 2021

How to Write a Professional Email Message: Final Step of the Delaware Contemporary Project

 


I've spent an hour or so looking for the best resource to discuss how to write a professional email message. This was my favorite one, but they're all similar. I'm more than a little bit suspicious of art-coaching sites like this, but they might be worth checking out. Just remember that the people behind them are usually predatory and primarily just want to take your money. 

Writing a Professional Email Message
This is the final assignment for the Delaware Contemporary project. Each student will write a brief professional email message to a member of the Delaware Contemporary's Department of Public Engagement. The idea about "making a good first impression" might sound cheesy to you, but like lots of cliche phrases, it comes from a point of truth and shared experience. 

Students in the 9:30 am section will write to Joshua Hollingsworth.

Students in the 11:00 am section will write to Britanny Powell. 

I decided that it would be a good exercise for students to find the email addresses on their own. It's not hard. I'll give you a hint: Go to the Delaware Contemporary's website. 

In your email to either Mr. Hollingsworth or Ms. Powell, follow almost all of the advice in the links above. The only one not to follow is the advice against sending attachments. The purpose of your email is to present your two attachments. Keep it short and sweet. Don't sound like a robot. Include your social media links (totally optional), but only if they are solely about your art. Proofread everything. Then proofread it again. 


Naming Your Attachments
Wow, this is really important in school and in life beyond school. At this moment in history, I think the PDF format is the most universally accessible. I would recommend sending documents in PDF format if possible. What's important is that your file name connects you to your work. If your file is named "Delaware Contemporary Project.pdf" it can get lost. 

I'm going to use my name as an example.

For the art piece: 
csmithDCADart.pdf

For the writing piece:
csmithDCADwriting.pdf

These are also the file-naming protocols you should use when uploading documents to this class. Other instructors likely have other preferred formats. Ask. 

There is nothing worse than fishing through a bunch of anonymous file names. I get this all the time with your assignments. I have been guilty of this myself. We should cover this directly in FYE next year. 

On a side-note: I'm kind of old-fashioned when it comes to the usage of "email message" vs "email." There's actually a big debate about this. Either is perfectly fine. 

Your brief email message should not take you more than 15 or 20 minutes. Some students will do a wonderful job in five or ten minutes. 

I'm leaving the final 15 minutes of class  today for you to get started and maybe finish your email to either Ms. Powell or Mr. Hollingsworth.

DUE: No later than 5:00 pm on April 13. Please remember to cc me on your email message. 

Questions? csmith@dcad.edu





No comments:

Post a Comment

Last Words

Here we are. This is the last time we will meet together. I'd like to thank each of you for a rewarding semester of teaching. I hope eve...