Monday, February 6, 2023

Let's Critique!

 Artist Statement 

My work explores the potency, malleability, and mystery of memory. Through the prism of reminiscence and recollection, my paintings depict abstracted personal moments from my childhood experience. Figurative imagery, vibrant color, and abstract shapes mix together to reflect the complex nature of recalled scenes from my past. Collectively, these abstract painted scenes reflect my connection to and expression of my Haitian cultural heritage. 

I draw from my subconscious and dreams for the content of my paintings. Energetic scenes from my early childhood growing up in Haiti compose the core of my work. Moments like visits to the local market with my grandmother, festive parades and performances during Carnival, or folklore and stories shared by fireside serve as raw imagery for my work. These memories explode from the canvas in a swirl of references to my past and the collective experience of my fellow Haitians. My process reflects the sometimes deceptive and fluid nature of memory. 

My work is often constructed in layers, reacting to the imperfect and changing qualities of my recollection. I simultaneously build up and erase over time as I work. I sketch, paint, rub, expunge, and layer on the canvas until an image emerges from my subconscious mind’s eye. Never truly finished, these paintings are an evolving reflection on a moment in time, forever morphing in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Last Words

Here we are. This is the last time we will meet together. I'd like to thank each of you for a rewarding semester of teaching. I hope eve...